Coffee is one of the most popular beverages in the world today. About 80% of urban population in the developed countries drinks coffee at least once a day.
Due to its popularity, coffee enjoyed increased attention from scientists: its pros and cons for human health are a subject to a lot of research. However, there is no clear answer about coffee benefits and dangers. This drink offers both, let's see more.
Pros of coffee:
- Coffee in small and medium doses, stimulates the central nervous system, relieves drowsiness and tiredness;
- Coffee is not harmful in small and medium doses (up to three cups a day);
- Coffee helps get rid of depression, as promotes the production of serotonin in the body - the hormone that causes a feeling of happiness and well-being. Coffee can be used as an antidepressant;
- Coffee speeds up the body's metabolism, it is useful for those who are actively involved in sports and/or want to lose weight. Workouts after a cup of coffee feel much easier;
Cons of coffee:
- Coffee stimulates the gastric system, which leads to increased appetite and, as a consequence, to overeating;
- Coffee has a devastating effect on the body in large doses (4 and more cups per day);
- Coffee is addictive. If a person stops drinking coffee, they feel constantly sleepy, tired and depressed;
- Coffee stimulates the removal of calcium from the human body. If you do not replenish the calcium balance with products or medications - a variety of diseases associated with a lack of calcium may develop.